Friday, April 24, 2009

Braised Ginger Chicken 姜芽鸡

It has been my family tradition to cook up this dish during any Chinese Festive reunion meals. But my Mom uses Duck instead of chicken. I use chicken as it has more meat and not so fat and I modify my recipe a little.


The ingredients are quite simple. First, preserved ginger..........marinade ginger (cut in chunk size) with three tablespoons of white ginger and one heap teaspoon full of sugar overnight.



These are the additional ingredients I put. Blend 2 stalks of serai, garlic, onion and 2 thick slice of lengkuas(galangal) together to make a paste. The amount of these ingredients is depending on how many chicken you cook and how you want your sauce to be either thick or dilute.



One tablespoon of taucu ( bean paste).Heat up two tablespoon of oil, add in blended ingredients and taucu and fry till fragant. Then add in chicken pieces ( I used three chicken thighs), light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar and salt to taste, preserved ginger and water just to cover the chicken and stir fry everything so the seasoning is spread evenly. Then cover the wok let it simmer about 20-25 minutes. Lastly, drop some sesame oil and Xiao Xin rice wine into the chicken.


Final result :


As you can see from the ingredients above, I did not use any oyster sauce at all. I try not to use much oyster sauce in my cooking because I don't recall any oyster sauce in my grandma's kitchen in the 60s or 70s but she could cook up such a wonderful dishes. The seasoning was very basic in those days and one can taste the original taste of the food. You can add some in this dish if you like.
My children love this and it goes well with rice. Happy cooking!





P/S : All views and opinions expressed here are based on my own personal opinion. Nobody pay or threaten me to say good or bad things about the food I eat!!

No comments: