Thursday, September 3, 2009

Kedai Kopi Yik Chan - Bidor

Besides Melaka, my family also made a trip to Penang when my eldest sister Annie came back from UK with her two sons for holiday. On the way from KL to Penang, we stopped over in Bidor for lunch. Fed up with the usual 'Pun Chun Restaurant', my Dad took us to this place called Kedai Kopi Yik Chan. It is located behind Pun Chun, that is the first right turn after the traffic light at the KFC. It is in one of the pre war building. Remember to place your parking ticket on your dashboard. You can buy the parking ticket at a shop just a few doors away from this Kedai Kopi Yik Chan.
Hand written menu on the board.
As there are about 10 of us, my Dad decides to order dishes to go with rice. They have fried noodles and rice too.

The restaurant is quite old and not very clean and the people managing the shop are old aunties and uncles. I guess the shop has been around for about half a century old. Hope the old 'sifu' is still around or has passed down his culinary skill to his younger generation for us to taste good food.

Look at the 'aging table' !
These are what we ordered :

I was quite disappointed with the Stir Fried Choy Sum, they looked so big and old but to my surprise they are so fresh, sweet and crispy. Lesson learned : don't judge the food by its look.

The children favourite : Fried Prawn Wantan with Sweet and Sour Sauce. There are well marinated prawn wrapped with wantan sheet. The prawn is juicy and fresh. The Sweet and Sour Sauce is served in a separated bowl and I find it is quite spicy and sour. The children did not dip the sauce.
This is Braised Ginger Duck which I find not very good and oily. It lacks of ginger and tauchu (sweet bean paste) taste.

Steamed Fish (Soon Hock) with Soy Sauce is good. The fish is fresh and the aroma of the soy sauce is just right.

My sister favourite, Yam Basket is very good. The yam is soft and creamy and the filling is very tasty too.

Total bill come up to about RM150 inclusive of 4cans of 100plus and Chinese tea. Next time if I pass by Bidor and think of 吃饭 ( eat rice) I will come back again.


P/S : All views and opinions expressed here are based on my own personal opinion. Nobody pay or threaten me to say good or bad things about the food I eat!!

No comments: